Helping you preserve your assets, take care of your parents, defend the elderly
and disabled, their families and their property.
Medicare/Medical INsurance Long-Term Care Benefits
Medicare Part A
- Days 1-60: $1,184
- Days 61-90: $296
- Days 91-150: 592
- Skilled Nursing Facility, Days 1-20: covered 100% by Medicare
- Skilled Nursing Facility, Days 21-100 coinsurance: $148 per day
- Community Spouse Resource Allowance (CSRA): $115,920
- Single person needing skilled care: $2,000
- Couple, both needing skilled care: $3,000
- Minimum Monthly Maintenance Needs Allowance (MMMNA): $2,898 (spousal income allowed)
- Average Private Pay Rate (APPR): $7,549
- The home — totally excluded, if it is the principal residence. The applicant must state “intent to return to the home.” Includes a mobile home, houseboat, or an entire multi-unit dwelling, as long as any portion serves as the principal residence of the applicant.
- Other real property — may be excluded if it is used in whole or in part as a business or means of self-support. You should see an attorney if you have other real property.
- Household goods and personal effects — totally exempt.
- Jewelry for a single person — wedding rings, engagement rings, heirlooms, and items of jewelry with a net market value of $100 or less are totally exempt.
- Jewelry for spouses — there is no limit on exempt jewelry for determining the institutionalized spouse’s eligibility.
- One car — generally exempt if used for the benefit of the applicant/beneficiary or if needed for medical reasons.
- Whole life insurance policies — excluded if they have a total face value (also called “combined death benefit”) of $1,500 or less.
- Term life insurance — totally excluded.
- Burial plots — totally excluded, includes headstone, crypts, etc.
- Prepaid irrevocable burial plan — any amount is excluded.
- Designated burial funds — excluded if funds are $1,500 and kept separate from all other accounts.
- Cash surrender value
- Balance of pension funds
- IRAs and certain types of annuities — you should see an attorney if you are considering buying an annuity. Call CANHR for a referral!
- Cash reserve up to $2,000 — this includes cash in savings, checking, etc., for the Medi-Cal applicant.
Paying for Non-Medical Long-Term Care in Assisted Living, Board and Care Homes, and Your Home
Home Health Services
- A physician has certified you as home-bound
- Intermittent skilled nursing or therapy services are required
- Services are provided by a Medicare-certified home health agency